Why not round off the week with some gluten free, American-style pancakes made with rice flakes with the latest in my series of gluten free recipes?
Rice flour is becoming more and more commonplace in gluten free kitchens and if you’ve run out, you can create your own from some rice flakes if you have a blender handy. It’s super easy and it saves you making that emergency trip to your local supermarket, perfect!
Serves 2 (makes 4-6 pancakes)
70g Delicious Alchemy Rice Flake Porridge
2 medium eggs
75ml skimmed milk
You will need:
Access to a blender
Jug and fork
Medium frying pan
Spatula (for flipping)
1. Put the rice flakes into a blender and turn it onto full power/pulse for 3 – 6 minutes of minutes – the rice flakes will reduce to less than half in size and be ground into a thick flour (don’t worry if there are some flakes left)
2. Add the eggs and 45ml of milk into the blender and mix on full power for approx 2 minutes to combine
3. Transfer the mix into a jug and add the remaining milk, whisk with a fork
4. Melt the butter into the frying pan on a medium – high heat
5. Pour in approx 1/6 – 1/4 of the mix and swirl around the pan to create a pancake that is 10cm in diameter
6. The mix will aerate when it is time for you to flip the pancake over (just like you’d expect with American pancakes)
7. Cook on the reverse until the pancake has browned (this will take approx 2-3 minutes)
8. Remove the pancake from the pan and continue with the rest of the mix (tip: cover your pancakes with a sheet of kitchen roll to keep them warm)
9. Serve with a topping of your choice – mine are pictured with fresh strawberries combined with chopped mint and topped with cracked black pepper and balsamic glaze
Disclaimer: The Delicious Alchemy rice flakes was sent to me for review and there were no stipulations in regards to how I used them. I created this recipe independently and I’ve credited recipes I have adapted where appropriate.
I have also used the Delicious Alchemy rice flakes in a recipe for gluten free cherry bakewell flapjack which you can find here, the Delicious Alchemy brownie mix to make Creme Egg Townies (brownies encased in sweet pastry) which you can find here and the Delicious Alchemy oaty cookie mix to make ‘Pink Lemonade’ cheesecakes which you can find here.