When you’re avoiding gluten via your diet it can often be easy to forget how else gluten might enter our bodies and I have to admit that I’ve only seen a few articles about the subject and don’t feel particularly confident or informed on the subject of gluten free beauty.
What recently brought it all to a head was when I was sat in the Kiehl’s store during a preview of a Victoria Quarter event and I noticed the rice and wheat shampoo and conditioner – seeing the words there in black and white, it suddenly made me think about ways I could be inadvertently putting gluten into my system.
I’d previously read a couple of articles, both of which seemed conflicting – one said not to worry whilst the other said most products are probably fine yet it’s best to avoid lip products that contain gluten as we’re more likely to digest gluten in those products.
I’ve tentatively started to look further at the products I use (face and body) and this is mainly because I feel dreadful when I’ve been ‘gluttoned’ and I’d rather not cause any issues I can avoid. I’d also be reticent to use a product like shampoo which has wheat in because I know I have a sensitive scalp, one which plagues me quite a bit and I imagine broken skin isn’t the best place to use such a product.
Helpfully, Yasmin at the Leeds Kiehl’s store put a list together of the products that CONTAIN gluten so I can confidently make a purchase or try a new product if it’s not on the list. They’ve given me permission to publish it here so I’ll note it below. Thankfully their wonder products, Powerful-Strength Line Reducing Concentrate and Midnight Recovery Oil (c/o) aren’t on the list and I’ve been using them since the event. They’re just what my problematic, sensitive Spring skin ordered!
Keihl’s products containing gluten
• PRECISION LIFTING & SKIN FIRMING CONCENTRATE
• RARE EARTH DEEP PORE DAILY CLEANSER
• RARE EARTH PORE REFINING TONIC
• RARE EARTH PORE MINIMISING LOTION
• RARE EARTH DEEP PORE CLEANSING MASQUE
• ULTRA FACIAL OIL FREE LOTION
• MICRO BLUR SKIN PERFECTOR
• WASHABLE CLEANSING MILK
• CRÈME D’ELEGANCE REPAIRATURE
• #1 LIP BALM (ORIGINAL, MANGO, PEAR, CRANBERRY, MINT)
• ULTIMATE MAN BODY SCRUB SOAP
• CROSS TERRAIN ALL IN ONE REFUELLING WASH
• POUR HOMME LIQUID BODY CLEANSER
• ORIGINAL MUSK BODY LOTION
• AMINO ACID SHAMPOO
• AMINO ACID CONDITIONER
• ULTIMATE THICKENING SHAMPOO
• RICE AND WHEAT VOLUMISING SHAMPOO
• RICE AND WHEAT VOLUMISING CONDITIONER
• GROOMING AID FORMULA 133
• CRÈME WITH SILK GROOM
• INTENSIVE TREATMENT AND MOISTURZER FOR DRY/ CALLUSED AREAS
• GRAPEFRUIT LIQUID BODY CLEANSER
• GRAPEFRUIT HAND AND BODY LOTION
• GRAPEFRUIT BODY SCRUB
• CORIANDER LIQUID BODY CLEANSER
• CORIANDER HAND AND BODY LOTION
• CORIANDER BODY SCRUB
• LAVENDER BODY SCRUB
I’d be really interested to know if you avoid beauty products that include gluten and if you have any helpful links to relevant articles, do leave a link to them in the comments.